History of Truro City Band
The earliest reference to a band in Truro, so far, is 1853 when a Truro saxhorn band gave a concert in the assembly
rooms in Highcross.
In 1924 bandmaster Tom Hubbard entered a Truro Band at Crystal Palace. They came away with a prize in the B Cup
section the first Cornish band to win a prize at this contest.
In the early 1930s the bandmaster was George Cave a well known cornet player, adjudicator and arranger of brass band
music. During this period the band attended many contests & were very successful.
During the 1939-1945 war players from the band played as a Home Guard and a Territorial Band.
In the 1950s A. W. Parker was MD followed by A. Teasdale cornet player of the famous St. Hilda Colliery Band, continuing
to do well contesting & performing. This band folded in the 1960s for reasons not known.
In 1975 Rex Little soprano player of the old band, who had a small band at Gwennap, asked the City Council if they had
some rehearsal rooms. The Cemetery Chapel was offered for the life of the band if they become the City of Truro Band,
which happened. After Rex died Brian Stansmore took the baton until his health failed and he retired.
Roger Polmear a well known percussionist and ex Military Musician, took charge, & under his guidance the band
continued to take part in all brass band activities. On his retirement and death in 2010
Following Roger six other MDs covered until 2017 when Malcolm Burley took the baton.
So for many years, from an early Pipe & Drum Band on to Brass, making music in Truro is an important part of the history
of the City.
The Band Room
The chapel (band room) was built in 1883, but never consecrated. Over the years much work has been done to improve
the interior. The plaster on the lower walls was taken off and wood panelling put up. All the work was carried out by
band members, who got covered in dust, but had a real laugh. Carpet was laid and new lighting and heating installed.
Now much more useable as a Band Room and the players delighted with the results.
The record breaking steam train, The City of Truro, which which was the first steam locomotive to exceed 100 mph on a
run from Paddington to Truro on May 9th 1904, came to Truro Station on an
anniversary trip in 2004. It was welcomed by the band playing at the station.
After the event a newspaper reporter was asking about the band, when he heard
that the band room was in the cemetery. He asked if a TV story could be filmed
there and a date was fixed. The band played as the cameras moved around with
shots inside and outside the chapel. When shown the result came out very well. One
of the cornet players Shelly had written a poem of the band in the cemetery and
she read this out on the programme. The story also appeared in some Sunday
Another TV appearance was when the new Truro Crown Courts won a major
buildings award. A film was made of this with the band playing in the bandstand of
Victoria Gardens. The cameras took shots from all directions, including in the
reflection of a tuba bell.
More recently, a German film company were at Tregothnan filming a Rosamonde Pilcher story. A few members of the
band played on a stage in a village fete scene. A few minutes only in the final film, but it took 12 hours in the blazing
sun to shoot. We didn’t see the final film as it was only shown on German TV.